Thursday, January 8, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me

Today I turn 23 years of age. My Mother and Brother called me this morning which was nice. A few emails and IM’s have come in as well which has bighted my morning thus far. Before work I ripped open my presents from home and I got a book on Peru and a poncho for when I go. I also got a bunch of lottery tickets from my Nana (Mother’s mom). I had a stack of them and didn’t even win a buck, I’m almost afraid to hang outside to much today. I will keep in mind where the bunkers are just in case.


Your birthday in Iraq doesn’t really feel much different from any other day. The only difference for me is that I can justify not doing a gosh darn thing today, haha. After all it is my birthday.



Things here on base are way more hectic then usual the last week (hence why I haven’t written since the New Year). Without a supervisor or a secretary, or help, I am starting to stress out a bit. I now know why our supervisor is always a space cadet or looks like the undead from a zombie movie. Trying to make sure everything is under control, while at the same time making sure your co-make the department look like a joke is a lot harder then I previously thought it would be. It is sad that I am the youngest one here and have to babysit the persons with more “experience” then me.


For example, I sat in on the weekly conference call with “AS.” He was so nervous about the conference call that he kept dialing the number he uses to call his phone card. Once we did get on the line I had to explain to him that the conference call wasn’t a time to show off. He had a big list of things we have done in the last few weeks, and our yearly numbers. I had to explain to him that no one on the conference call really cared about the little things we have done on the base. He would have made himself look like an ass, not to mention the whole department. It was a good thing I was there to explain that too him. It’s really hard to explain that to someone without hurting his feelings or causing an argument, but I am getting good at handling those situations.


Because of situations like this I have to go the gym every night just so I don’t strangle someone. I really hope someday I am surrounded by fellow employees that are worth a damn. O well, I’m not on here to complain, this is just another one of those mild stones that comes with the working world I guess. It has helped me recognize that I am a good, valuable employee, and am going to do awesome once I get back to the real job market. I am looking forward to finishing school so I can work my way up that ladder (which might be a while now because I am interested in graduate school now).


The transition from the old food service to the new one is in swing right now. By the end of January the old company will be out and the new one will be completely in charge. I am nervous because I have seen the new company unloading MREs (Meals Ready to Eat) into their buildings. When the old company leaves they are taking all the kitchen equipment. The new company will not only have to learn this job overnight, but will have to set up kitchens that feed thousands of people a meal. I am worried we might have to eat MREs for a few days while all that jazz goes down! It will be an interesting event to say the least.


The pictures below are from today and yesterday. I somehow ended up wearing the same shirt both pizza party days so far, that's what the photos might look similar. Hope you enjoy.





2 comments:

petoskystone said...

happy birthday to you! my,my- if as is nervous about a conference call, what would he do in a real emergency requiring actual critical thinking?

azbma said...

Happy Birthday to youuuuuu Happy Birthday to youuuu.....Hope your day was great and that you got away with not doing a darn thing! I have no doubt that you'll do great things, unfortunately I hate to say-the real work world is just as bad. Loved the pics! Love you...