Saturday, January 3, 2009

Happy New Year

Hope all is well at home and everyone’s resolutions are standing strong. Mine is to get home safely and resist spending money best I can. I also hope to get more pictures up here. I ran out of interesting things to take pictures of four months ago, so I will do my best.


I ended up checking out one of the New Years parties they had on base. It was a prime example of what a lame party should be. Music that clears the dance floor, food that the DFAC wouldn’t serve, and was full of people I had just worked the last 12 hours with. On the bright side, my roommate was there and he is a cool dude. The best part of the night was watching the ghetto ball drop they had outside with a crane. At the stroke of midnight, when the ball had reached the bottom of it’s ride the military set off every C-RAM in the whole base off at the same time. The one for the KBR mancamp shot directly over our heads. I must admit I puckered up a bit. It fires so fast the bullets come out in a steady stream; it looks like a long orange ribbon ripping though the sky. The tracer rounds make it look awesome! It was the highlight of my night, that and seeing my roommate running like a little school girl!


Things here on the base are getting very crowded. The old units are on there way out and the new ones are on the way in, so for the time being the DFACs are packed along with the gyms and computer rooms. However, on the up side, this has given us the opportunity to raid a few of the abandoned motor pools for useful supplies. When a unit leaves an area they do just that, leave. They don’t do any cleanup, don’t turn anything back into a property department (because they don’t have one), let alone leave the place trashed. Me and JG took this opportunity to go and snoop around and see what interesting stuff was up for grabs. Pocket knifes, tools, hardware, drip pans, metal signs, everything you could think of just left where it lays.


The unit that left the area we came across was so ready to get the hell out of here, that you could see where they had been playing cards and left mid game. The cards still laid out on the table as if they had stepped out of the room ten minutes ago. It was almost like the start to one of those cheesy zombie movies.


We didn’t find anything real useful; someone had already been by and gotten all the good stuff I think. I ended up with a nice big “No Smoking” sign that I can use to get one of my areas in compliance. When the military needs something, they just get it (or take it from us). When we need something, it could take up to eight months to show up. So it is good to get things when you can. I was really hoping to find some nice Gerber knifes or tools, but it was cool just looking around.


I hoped to have this entry done a few days ago, but my secretary quit and I have been doing my best to do all the reports he was doing. He had a lot to do, and now it is all on me. It’s like I am doing to separate jobs in one. However, maybe his replacement will not be a he…. One can hope hope….


POL effected soil from the military.

You Don't Want to Know.



New Years party, with a bunch of rednecks that I don't care for. I wanted a picture and forgot my camera so I jumped into one with other people.

3 comments:

petoskystone said...

good luck with your resolutions. i am of a mind to wait until spring to make any serious resolutions( winter is a time of darkness & cold, whereas spring is a time of new growth & budding warmth). while you are thinking of interesting things to photograph, do you have any animals/birds native to the area still hanging around, given all of the activitiy?

azbma said...

who are the guys in the pic? Email it to me :) Is one the guy you share the office with? My resolution has started like a rusty engine-all squeaky and not wanting to move-if you get my drift, but I'm still at it.

azbma said...

Oh yeah I forgot...
BIRDS THE WORD!