Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The End

I have spent over 365 days living away from everything I know, in the Middle East, and in an active war zone to boot. The day I landed I had a Hiking backpack, a school bag and a few essentials like a bottle of Shampoo and conditioner.

During the days here I have bought new bags and most of those clothes have also been replaced, but I do have a few things from that bag; believe it or not, that one bottle of shampoo and conditioner.

Well this is it I guess, “momma your boy is coming home.” My time is up, the gig is over, the curtain for me here has been drawn shut. The saying “the end is near” I believe fits the situation best. However, this “end,” will be the equivalent of pushing the play button on my life’s remote. I will be going back to the same room, same school, same department, and same classrooms that I left and pick up where I left off. I couldn’t be happier. The only difference now is that I have a little more stride in my step, a little more experience under my belt, and a little more lean when I sit on my wallet.

But enough with the bad clichés, lets get to the matter at hand, I’m heading home, and I am taking a lot from here besides the dirt in my shoes(ok that’s the last one I promise).

I left home with the goal to better my situation and start a better life for myself. I wanted to make my father proud and do what he would have done if he were in my situation. I wanted to see the world (without having too shoot people) and make a difference. I also wanted to make sure I had a solid future ahead of me.

I have come to the straightforward conclusion that I have not only obtained these, but far more then I could have ever guessed. I have to admit though, it wasn’t all too easy.

Above all things the separation was the hardest part. I was separated from my family, friends, like minded people, my cars, and the hobbies that make me, me. I was plucked from a comfort zone that I was so accustom too I didn’t even realize I had it.

I also missed a lot of important events, like friends graduations, the PA domination of sports, and of course the holidays. It was a first to be away from home for any and all of these things, but I handled it better then I thought I would.

I have met a lot of great people here, but the majority I wouldn’t want to talk to unless I had too. I give the benefit of the doubt to people when I meet them, but some of the most horrible people I have ever met in my life work here. Many people fall into a “group think” and are quick to “yeeee-haaaa” and “Yeah!” when someone brings up a topic they have no idea about (racisms, president, religion, ect.). I’m glad I never fell into this mentality even slightly. I’m glad I was able to remain myself after being surrounded by unwise people.

On the flip side (its really hard not to use these Clichés) many good things have happened to me over this year besides the paychecks. This year I found myself the solitude I experienced helped me learn more about myself and what I can do to be a better person. I also had a chance to see what I am capable of. The trials and tribulations have made me a stronger person. I really didn’t think I’d be able to do this for a whole year, but now I know I could do anything as long as I have my full self into it.

Sure many of the people here are bad, but I did meet some interesting people from all over the world. I have gotten to know, Turkish, Indian, Sri Lankan, Nepalese, Bangladeshi, Bosnian, Croatians, Serbian, Romanian, Macedonians, Kenyan, Ugandan, South African, and Southerners. I have made a note to learn a little about everyone’s culture, language and customs. I can introduce myself self in 7 Languages (8 if you include “How Ya’ll doin?”).

I have also found a career I think I would enjoy doing for the rest of my life. I learned so much about Environmental work that it’s a shame I will not get a chance to use it for a while (well to make money that is). Most Environmentalist in the “real world” do environmental work in one aspect, I got to do it in all fields: Logistics, transportation, fuel farms, hazardous materials, hazardous waste, hazardous communications, OSHA, NFPA, DOT, DOD, solid waste stream, maintaince bays, ammo supply, O2 plants, first responding, and many more. And the work was all done while intertwined in complicated draw out contracts that take a team of lawyers to decipher. I have done more and learned more about Environmental work here in one year then many Environmentalists do in a life time (and I mean the real environmentalist, not celebrities or Al Gore).

So what have I taken away from all this, and what have I learned? Well on top of what I already said I have taken things from here I didn’t expect. If you had told me a year ago I could learn to appreciate country music, I’d probably laugh at you. The same goes for being excited to getting home so I can rock out my new cowboy boots.

I find myself worried I won’t be able to find good Indian Chi, or Bosnian Coffee. I also will have to learn to make Nepalese stir fry, along with southern collar greens. I wonder if I’ll ever stop thinking “soon-DA lar-Key” when I see a pretty girl. I hope people back home don’t make fun of me to much when I tell them “I’m fixing to..” or get on my case when a “Ya’ll” slips out.

I have also learned to appreciate the little things. For instance, the package from home is awesome, but finding a crumpled up page from the “Daily Local” being used as padding is an extra treat. I hate that news paper with much of my heart, but I couldn’t help reading every work on that crinkly mess.

Also, the few times when the DFAC got a good shipment of fresh fruit. I ate so many oranges I made myself sick on more then one occasion. Or when I find a small loophole in a contract that makes everyone’s life a little easier. Catching a few minutes of Sports Center on the TV in the DFAC was always a treat, especially if a PA team was in the highlights. I’ll also have to learn to stop calling women “Mam.” That doesn’t fly as well in the North as it does below the Mason Dixon Line.


I gave up a lot to come over here but have gained a lot in return and I’ll be getting everything I gave up, and more, when I get back. So now my friend, I leave here with a new outlook on life, some new skills, new experiences, new friends, a great looking future, a new hiking backpack, a new school bag, and believe it or not, that same bottle of shampoo and conditioner.

I love you guys, thanks for being there when I needed you and I can’t wait to see you all in a few. Thanks Mom and Dad for letting me take a leap of faith.





3 comments:

petoskystone said...

whoo-hoo! homeward bound!! & thanks to the internet, i'm sure you'll find chi & coffee quickly. others trying to best your experience (resume-wise) won't find it nearly that easy...

Unknown said...

I will start looking for these things. As a Mom I couldn't be prouder..your not the only one with a little more spring in their step. I've got serious Mommy bragging rights. See you soon-love you lots and as I said in the beginning. LYSS(love you stay safe)
Mom

Julia Erickson said...

Congratulations on a job well done and best wishes back at school.