Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas 08

Well Christmas was a fun day! I started the day off a little rough when I woke up an hour and a half late to work, and missed the Indian guys open there gifts. They were really happy for there new socks, jackets and underwear. Me and JG pitched in for the cash to get the gifts, and it was the other two employees that took credit for them, telling the guys, “Don’t worry about it guys, it’s nothing, enjoy your gifts.” A bit of a bummer and if I were here I would have called them out on it.

Christmas on a military base is an interesting event. Everyone is at work, but no one is actually working. The boss outright told us to not doing anything today and to just relax. The soldiers had a fun day as well; they were out having a little parade and parties all over the place. Santa hats where everywhere. The day was fun considering no one here was able to see there family, or friends back home.

The DFAC was dressed up nice as expected, however I think the Thanksgiving decorations were way better. It seems that DFAC 3 won the event, they go all out on Christmas and my DFAC, DFAC 4, concentrates more on Thanksgiving. In any case, I stuffed myself full of turkey, prime rib, chicken and all the fixings that go along. It was hard to stay awake at work after that.

After my long, lazy, bloated day at work, I went back to my hooch to destroy some wrapping paper. I set up my camera so that I could record my first Christmas away from home for my mother. I was very happy with what I got this year. I got a nice camera bag, clothes, underwear, neat flashlight, hat, and camera lenses. I loved everything! I the camera bag inspired me to buy a more professional camera. I may have to get one of the Cannon EOS Rebels or something. I would love to have a full blown professional one, and probably will get one after I leave here. I’d hate to have one of those here; I’d be scared to use it! I do love my camera, and now I can do a lot more with it and the new lenses. I can’t wait to lug it all to Peru to use there!

Id like to give a special thanks to the Beaudoins. They made me a DVD which really lifted my sprits. It had a photo slideshow comprised of pictures of the family the last few years. Even though I had my first, “what was I thinking” moment, it was nice to see the family, and reminisce about past gatherings. I really enjoyed it! Thank you!

Now I need to get ready for New Years, and then my birthday on the 8th of January. I think I may have a little party here, buy some pizzas and sodas.

Thanks for all the gifts everyone! I really enjoyed them and they were that extra boost I needed to get though the holiday season!



Navy's hummve





Me and Deepak



Krishna



Veggies


My Uganda buddy, Alex

3 comments:

petoskystone said...

glad to hear you have some new toys to play with ! nice reindeer. what is the church made of?

Andrew B. said...

I believe that Church is made of Pop-tarts and icing. haha.

azbma said...

So glad you liked everything-everyone always asks for you. I made you a video of Christmas that I'm going to send with your birthday presents. The big family dinner went well last night, and the yankee exchange was fun as always. Zack bought capt mirgan glasses kind of like you did last year, but bigger ones, and I think Ryan fianlly got them. I'll send you more through email-love you!